Like most foods, eaten in moderation, caviar has a long list of benefits. Most notably:
- Caviar is an excellent source of protein, calcium and phosphorus.
- Caviar contains around 10% of the daily requirement for iron, as well as decent amounts of selenium, magnesium.
- It contains an array of vitamins B2, B6, B12, C and it is a rich source of Vitamins A and D.
- It is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which fight heart disease and has been said to help with depression.
- It contains the amino acids, arginine, histidine, lysine, isoleucine, and methionine (essential amino acids).
Caviar is however, high in sodium and cholesterol, so those concerned about either of these should restrict their overall caviar intake (the recommended servings in this case is 30-50 grams).
The following Nutritional facts are based on 1 tbsp of caviar(approximately 15mg)
Calcium: 45 mg
Choline: 78.6 mg
Folate: 8 mcg
Iron: 1.9 mg
Magnesium: 47 mg
Phosphorus: 57 mg
Potassium: 29 mg
Selenium: 10.5 mcg
Zinc: 0.2 mg
Pantothenic Acid: 0.6 mg
Omega-3 fatty Acids: 1085 mg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids: 13 mg
Protein: 24.3 mg
Vitamin A: 146 IU
Vitamin B2: 3.5 mcg
Vitamin B6:0.1 mcg
Vitamin B12: 3.5 mcg
Vitamin D: 37 IU
Vitamin E: 0.3 mg
Vitamin K: 0.1 mcg
Saturated Fat: 0.6g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 93 mg
Sodium: 238 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 0.6 g
Caviar Health Benefits:
- Caviar is rich in vitamins A known to be an important antioxidant and important in the growth of cells. Vitamin A protects cells against diseases like cancer. It also helps to improve vision and the signs of aging. It also helps the immune system.
- Rich in Vitamin E which helps in the creation of antibodies; and prevents against the degradation of cell membranes.
- It is also rich in Vitamin D, magnesium and selenium proven to benefit the circulatory and immune systems, as well as the nervous system. It also helps to fight heart disease.
- Caviar is rich in potassium which helps to lower blood pressure and reduce stress. Potassium also helps in the reduction of kidney stone production.
- Caviar is said to be an excellent hangover remedy (high acetylcholine content).Acetylcholine also plays an important role in memory function.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acidshelps to promote a number of positive health effects in the body including: eye health, brain function, immune system, cardiovascular system. It also lowers the risk contracting a number of cancers (colon, breast, and prostate). In addition to providing protection against heart and stroke, it is said to help with those suffering from Alzheimer’s, and recent studies have shown that Omega-3 helps with depression as well.
- High in iron, caviar can help with low-iron diets, and reduce sluggishness and lethargy. It also helps with red cell production- to help fight viruses and bacterial infections.
- Caviar contains Arginine which helps to increase blood flow, and according to the French caviar is an aphrodisiac.
- Caviar contains Zinc, one of the strongest immune-boosting mineral, essential for white cell production.
- One tablespoon of caviar contains the entire day’s supply of Vitamin B12 which helps regulate the nervous system, protects against various cancers, helps maintain a healthy digestive system and is essential for healthy skin, nails and hair.